WHPO Sports Update
- by: WHPO Editor
- on: May 24, 2013
- school: WHPO Sports Update
Friday, May 24, 2013
Here’s Your WHPO Sports Update…...
The NHL’s best regular season team the Chicago Blackhawks find themselves one game away from elimination after losing to the Red Wings last night 2 – 0. Detroit holds a 3 games to 1 playoff series lead
The Pirates beat the Cubs 4 – 2
Toronto beat Baltimore 12 – 6
Tigers got by the Twins 7 – 6
Cleveland beat Boston 12 - 3
The Cardinals and White Sox had the night off
LeBron James was a unanimous pick for the All-NBA team, and Kobe Bryant earned his record-tying 11th first-team selection. Joining them on the first team include Kevin Durant, Chris Paul and Tim Duncan. NBA scoring leader Carmelo Anthony led the second team, joined by guards Russell Westbrook and Tony Parker, center Marc Gasol and forward Blake Griffin.
The NBA playoffs continue tonight with game 2 of the Eastern Conference finals between the Heat and the Pacers.
Check out whporadio.com for information on Hoopeston Area summer sports camps. Just click on the Sports tab and read more under the latest daily sports update.
Good luck to players and coaches as area summer softball and baseball is underway. Support your local leagues by attending a ball game anywhere here in Hoopeston, Rossville, Alvin, Potomac, Bismarck & Milford.
That’s your WHPO Sports update….I’m Kevin Jett
SUMMER SPORT CAMPS:
Contact WHPO for information on the following summer sport camps here in Hoopeston:
• Hoopeston Area Lady Cornjerkers varsity basketball coach Clint Mathewson will host a camp May 28-31 for girls 1st thru 8th grade. Contact Coach Mathewson at 283-6661 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• MAY 29th – MAY 31, 2013
Join former and present Cornjerker baseball players who will help
teach the basic fundamental knowledge and skills for the game of baseball. There will be a large focus on the offensive side of the game including bunting, hitting, base running, and offensive tactics. The campers will also be taught proper throwing mechanics, fielding, position play, and foot work. Overall, the camp is to provide more insight for the game of baseball while having fun and receiving good instruction. The players can also learn what is expected of them to be able to compete at the high school and junior high level in the CORNJERKER BASEBALL PROGRAM.
Open to boys grades 3 through (Incoming) 9th grade boys
TIME:9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
COST: $40.00 per player. (Price includes a Cornjerker Baseball Camp T-Shirt)
Hoopeston Area High School Baseball Field
Complete and return this form to Coach Carl Heuer with registration fee.
(Checks Payable to: Cornjeker Baseball)
For any additional questions or concerns, contact Carl Heuer by email
• University of Illinois-Springfield head men’s basketball coach Ben Wierzba’s 1-day shooting clinic here in Hoopeston on June 1. Basketball players in grades 6-12 can receive 2 sessions of direct shooting instruction from Coach Wierzba and his staff. Sessions are 10am-Noon and 1-3pm on June 1 at Hoopeston Area H.S. Fee is $35 and includes a t-shirt. Registration forms can picked up at the high school and middle school offices
• Hoopeston Area Head Soccer Coach John Klaber’s annual youth soccer camp will be June 17-19. You can learn more about the camp and Coach Klaber’s program at: www.cornjerkersoccer.com.
• Major League Soccer’s Chicago Fire will host a camp for ages 3-high school July 8-12. This unique opportunity brings professional soccer players and coaches to Hoopeston for individualized instruction. The camp fee includes a t-shirt, ball, and a free ticket for the player to a Chicago Fire game.