WHPO’s Summer Sports Minute
- by: WHPO Editor
- on: May 28, 2013
- school: WHPO's Summer Sports Minute
Tuesday, May 28, 2013
Tony Kaanan won the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday. His first win in 12 tries
Kevin Harvick won the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte.
the Spurs beat the Grizzles 93-86 last night to complete a 4-game sweep of Memphis and earn a spot in the NBA Finals.
and The Heat lead the Pacers 2 games to 1 in their Eastern Conference finals series. Miami won game 3 on Sunday 114 – 96. Game 4 is tomorrow night back in Indy.
the Chicago Blackhawks rallied to beat the Detroit Red Wings 4 – 3 to force a game 7 in that series.
the Cardinals beat the Royals 6 – 3
and Jeff Samardzija threw a complete game, two-hit shutout as the Chicago Cubs beat the Chicago White Sox 7-0 last night.
Check out whporadio.com for information on Hoopeston Area summer girls basketball, boys baseball, basketball shooting and two different soccer camps. Just click on the Sports tab and read more about them under the latest daily sports update.
That’s your WHPO Summer Sports minute….I’m Kevin Jett
SUMMER SPORT CAMPS:
Contact WHPO for information on the following summer sport camps here in Hoopeston:
• Hoopeston Area Lady Cornjerkers varsity basketball coach Clint Mathewson will host a camp May 28-31 for girls 1st thru 8th grade. Contact Coach Mathewson at 283-6661 or email@example.com for more information.
• MAY 29th – MAY 31, 2013
Join former and present Cornjerker baseball players who will help
teach the basic fundamental knowledge and skills for the game of baseball. There will be a large focus on the offensive side of the game including bunting, hitting, base running, and offensive tactics. The campers will also be taught proper throwing mechanics, fielding, position play, and foot work. Overall, the camp is to provide more insight for the game of baseball while having fun and receiving good instruction. The players can also learn what is expected of them to be able to compete at the high school and junior high level in the CORNJERKER BASEBALL PROGRAM.
Open to boys grades 3 through (Incoming) 9th grade boys
TIME:9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
COST: $40.00 per player. (Price includes a Cornjerker Baseball Camp T-Shirt)
Hoopeston Area High School Baseball Field
Complete and return this form to Coach Carl Heuer with registration fee.
(Checks Payable to: Cornjeker Baseball)
For any additional questions or concerns, contact Carl Heuer by email
• University of Illinois-Springfield head men’s basketball coach Ben Wierzba’s 1-day shooting clinic here in Hoopeston on June 1. Basketball players in grades 6-12 can receive 2 sessions of direct shooting instruction from Coach Wierzba and his staff. Sessions are 10am-Noon and 1-3pm on June 1 at Hoopeston Area H.S. Fee is $35 and includes a t-shirt. Registration forms can picked up at the high school and middle school offices
• Hoopeston Area Head Soccer Coach John Klaber’s annual youth soccer camp will be June 17-19. You can learn more about the camp and Coach Klaber’s program at: www.cornjerkersoccer.com.
• Major League Soccer’s Chicago Fire will host a camp for ages 3-high school July 8-12. This unique opportunity brings professional soccer players and coaches to Hoopeston for individualized instruction. The camp fee includes a t-shirt, ball, and a free ticket for the player to a Chicago Fire game.