Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Here’s Your WHPO Sports Update…...
Adam Dunn hit a three-run homer in the first inning and the Chicago White Sox handed Jon Lester his first loss of the season with a 6-4 victory over the Boston Red Sox on Monday night.
Cardinals lost to the Padres 4 - 2
the Detroit Red Wings beat the Chicago Blackhawks 3-1 Monday night to take a 2-1 lead in that second round series.
Former Oklahoma State quarterback Wes Lunt took an unofficial visit to Illinois at the end of last week and is considering transferring there. Lunt started five games for Oklahoma State last season after enrolling early and winning the starting job as a true freshman in spring practice last year
Charleston beat Danville 6 – 4.
DACC lost to Heartland 13-3 in the Championship game of the Region 24 NJCAA Division II National tournament.
• Hoopeston Area Lady Cornjerkers basketball coach camp May 28-31 for girls 1st thru 8th grade.
• CORNJERKER BOYS BASEBALL CAMP: MAY 29th – MAY 31
Contact the high school regarding the girls basketball camp….contact the middle school for info about the boys baseball camp.
That’s your WHPO Sports update….I’m Kevin Jett
SUMMER SPORT CAMPS:
Contact WHPO for information on the following summer sport camps here in Hoopeston:
• Hoopeston Area Lady Cornjerkers varsity basketball coach Clint Mathewson will host a camp May 28-31 for girls 1st thru 8th grade. Contact Coach Mathewson at 283-6661 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• MAY 29th – MAY 31, 2013
Join former and present Cornjerker baseball players who will help
teach the basic fundamental knowledge and skills for the game of baseball. There will be a large focus on the offensive side of the game including bunting, hitting, base running, and offensive tactics. The campers will also be taught proper throwing mechanics, fielding, position play, and foot work. Overall, the camp is to provide more insight for the game of baseball while having fun and receiving good instruction. The players can also learn what is expected of them to be able to compete at the high school and junior high level in the CORNJERKER BASEBALL PROGRAM.
Open to boys grades 3 through (Incoming) 9th grade boys
TIME:9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
COST: $40.00 per player. (Price includes a Cornjerker Baseball Camp T-Shirt)
Hoopeston Area High School Baseball Field
Complete and return this form to Coach Carl Heuer with registration fee.
(Checks Payable to: Cornjeker Baseball)
For any additional questions or concerns, contact Carl Heuer by email
• University of Illinois-Springfield head men’s basketball coach Ben Wierzba’s 1-day shooting clinic here in Hoopeston on June 1. Basketball players in grades 6-12 can receive 2 sessions of direct shooting instruction from Coach Wierzba and his staff. Sessions are 10am-Noon and 1-3pm on June 1 at Hoopeston Area H.S. Fee is $35 and includes a t-shirt. Registration forms can picked up at the high school and middle school offices
• Hoopeston Area Head Soccer Coach John Klaber’s annual youth soccer camp will be June 17-19. You can learn more about the camp and Coach Klaber’s program at: www.cornjerkersoccer.com.
• Major League Soccer’s Chicago Fire will host a camp for ages 3-high school July 8-12. This unique opportunity brings professional soccer players and coaches to Hoopeston for individualized instruction. The camp fee includes a t-shirt, ball, and a free ticket for the player to a Chicago Fire game.